Swagbucks Swidget

Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Best Award of All

The Pinewood Derby race was this past Saturday. Steve and Drew had to be there before 8:30 but the rest of us (me, Casey, Shelby, Landon and Mimi) didn't have to show up until 9!!! It was a fun day but started getting long. Each car ran in 4 heats and the top 4 overall moved on to the 2nd round. Drew ran his car, Red Rocket, and Conner's Blue Thunder (Conner was at his dad's house this weekend and couldn't make the race so Drew stepped in for him). Neither car made it to the second round but we stayed till the end. The boys each got a medal and a certificate for entering. Drew and Conner both placed 4th overall in their age groups. Do you think they had the same pit crew or something?

Here are Steve and Drew after the race.

This is a picture from the first race. Drew's car is the red one at the top and Connor's is the blue and black on at the bottom.
After most of the awards were given out and a group picture had been taken, we decided to head home. It was after noon and both the little ones needed naps. Well as we were leaving, one of the RA leaders stopped Steve and asked if we were leaving. When Steve said yes, he asked us to stay around because Drew was getting a trophy. So of course we stayed. We had no idea what the trophy could be because we knew it wasn't for winning races. As each award was given, the boy got to go to the winners circle and his name and award were shown on a projector for all to see. Well the last award popped up on the screen but no name. Then they called Drew to the winner's circle. I was already crying!!! See I from where I was, I could see that the last award of the day was for Good Sportsmanship!!!! What a huge honor!!!! I am so thankful that Roger told us to stay. They explained that the boys did not know that anyone was getting this award and that people had been "watching" to see who this award should go to. I just cannot tell you how proud I am of Drew. I know what a "good sport" he is but it was so nice to see others recognize it also. This award was not just from his actions on race day but for the weeks leading up to race day!!!

WAY TO GO DREW!!!!!!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Drew, We are SO PROUD of you!! Love, The Rooneys