Gee a Sunday drive: slow pace, relaxing, peaceful, sight seeing.....
Well not exactly. It was more like: heart racing, anxiety driven now that's more like it.
Landon just didn't have a good night last night. He just kept getting sicker and sounding worse, so this morning I decided to take him to urgent care while Steve and the kids were at church. No big deal or so I thought. I was thinking they would see him and say I was over reacting and that he didn't sound as bad as I thought he did. Well boy was I wrong. When I walked in to a TOTALLY full waiting room, my heart sunk. I asked them how long it would be until they could see him. They asked how old he was and when I said he wasn't quite 6 months they asked what was wrong. When I said he was having labored breathing and was wheezing some, they said that they didn't usually see kids under 6 months but they would ask the doctor. So I go and change his diaper. When I come out, the nurse is waiting on us!!! They took him to the triage room right away and did a breathing assessment on Landon. He was breathing 60 times a minute. That's HIGH--it's at the high end for a newborn and pretty high for a kid Landon's age. They also listened to his chest which was tight sounding. Then the nurse told me that he was going to have to go to the Children's ER and that she wanted the Dr. to look at Landon and decide if he was able to go straight there with me or if they were going to send him in an ambulance. Okay, let me say that I think I did pretty good staying calm but next time, they can call the ambulance. That was a nerve racking drive for me and it takes about 30 minutes. That drive was made even more fun by the fact that the 4 lane road was only 2 lanes because people use the outside lanes for church parking on Sunday morning. Oh yea!!! Fortunately, we didn't have to wait to long in the ER before they got us in a room. Landon's breathing had slowed down a bit but he was still tight sounding. We saw the physician's assistant (who I didn't really like--and he really needs to work on his bed side manner!!!) within about 15 minutes of being put in a room and he ordered a breathing treatment for Landon which was done with 5 minutes. They were really working pretty quickly today. We also saw the attending doctor who ordered a chest x ray. I liked the attending physician by the way. The x-ray was clean but no fun. If you've never seen how they do a chest x-ray on small babies, let me just say it looks like a torture device and I think Landon would agree. They gave him one more breathing treatment and said that we could come home on oral steroids for 4 days and breathing treatments every 4 hours today. They are not sure if he has pediatric asthma or if this is a viral issue. Only time will tell.
I though I was home free until tonight. He has fussed ALL evening and then Casey came home from church tonight and rocked my world yet again!!! Steve came in and set her down while he walked our neighbor home. Casey started screaming!!!! She was crying to go to bed. So I was hurrying to get her dressed when I realize how HOT she felt and that she has one tiny blister on her little bottom. I took her temp and yep she's burning up!!! So I go to give her some meds--in hopes of her sleeping tonight because from the sound of Landon, he's not going to do much sleeping. Steve came in and picked her up while I was getting her meds. I told him to look in her mouth and see if she had any blisters. He said no blisters but the top of her mouth looked like it had craters on it!!! GREAT!! But no wait within the next 30 seconds she starts trowing up!!! Yep, we're having a great night here!!! Wanna come over?!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment