We had a VERY exciting night here tonight. Steve got home from work early. This was nice since he had been out of town. He is a wonderful husband and stopped by the store and picked up the remaining things I needed to fix dinner. A little back ground--I was making quiche yesterday and put foil in the bottom of the oven in case it spilled over (which it did). Anyway, I forgot to take it out and started preheating the oven tonight for dinner. Well as I breading the pork chops so that they could go in the oven, I realized the oven smelled funny. I looked over to see smoke pouring out of the eye on the stove. I thought, "Great! I forgot to take that foil out and now I'm going to set off the smoke alarm and wake Landon up!" Well if that had been it I would have been happy. When I opened the oven, it was so filled with smoke, that you couldn't see. When the smoke cleared you could see the flames!!! By this time of course, the alarms are going off and the kitchen is full of smoke. Casey is screaming in the kitchen. Drew and Shelby--well, they are sitting by the neighbors mail box. They did good and went straight to our meeting spot but at least one of them had been sitting next to Casey when the alarms went off. We'll work on that next time. I reached under the sink to get the fire extinguisher while Steve came over to help. He said that he wanted a pan to put over it to try and smoother it first before we sprayed the inside of the oven with the fire extinguisher. Before he could finish the sentence the entire oven was full of flames and I was handing him the fire extinguisher and heading up stairs to get Landon. I know it sounds like we were moving slow but things were happening so fast!!! At this point my main focus was on Landon's ears and how loud it was. I wasn't scared of getting the little ones out of the house at this point because the fire was still in the oven and I knew that Steve was going to spray it. What shocked me was how bad the smoke was upstairs. My throat was killing me by the time I got back down stairs with Landon. The smoke was so thick that I could hardly see while I was on the stairs. I got the little ones outside and went to get Drew and Shelby. I know Shelby was scared because she had been sitting on Steve's lap with Casey when all of this started. I put Casey and Landon in the stroller and headed in to get them some shoes and warm coats and blankets for Landon. The house was so full of smoke!!! Steve was already opening the windows and doors to let the house air out. We are so blessed. God is so good. This could have been very bad and yet it wasn't. I do see some things we need to work on with the kids. But hey a few months ago they would have just hung out when the alarm went off. Now even if it is false (those happen sometimes, too) they are outside and at the neighbors mail box as quick as they can get there. It also showed me a few things about how fast things can happen. If I had been upstairs when all of this started things could have been much different!!!! So tonight we are more thankful than usual. It's kind of funny, I remember this smell but didn't realize it until tonight. When I was about Shelby's age our kitchen caught on fire one night. Buddy and I were already in the bed when it happened. I don't remember any fire alarms or even getting out of the house or even if the fire trucks came. I do remember sitting in the car waiting. That fire was much worse but God was good then just as He always is.
Steve picked on me some while we were cleaning up the mess. It really does make a mess to use a fire extinguisher!!! He was so great and calm. I was calm to but it was different. I knew that he was taking care of things and we were working together. I guess next time though I'll just tell him I'd rather go out to dinner!!!! Really, that's the sad part. I had been waiting to try this new recipe!!! He even had the oven cleaned up when I got home from Bible study tonight. Don't I have just the world's greatest husband?!!
No comments:
Post a Comment