Swagbucks Swidget

Monday, August 11, 2008

Quick Trips

Well this weekend just blew by!!! Friday, Shelby went to Macy's birthday slumber party and actually made it all night!!!! When she got home at 9 on Saturday morning, we let her put her stuff in her room and took off.
We were headed to Mimi's house--via Greenwood--don't even look at the map!!!

Anyway we were about 15 minutes from the house when Shelby starts crying. Why? She left her teddy bear and teddy blanket at home--hey at least she hadn't left them at the party so they would be waiting for her on Sunday night!! She was mad that we wouldn't go back and get them but we had such a long day and after all, she remembered to bring her treat bag from the party. The good news is that she slept all night with out the bear or blanket!!!!!

We got to Lance and Jennifer's around lunch time and had a great afternoon. They guys had fun exploring under their house--the big guys not the younger crew!! I got to see Jennifer beautiful yard and check out her garden. Max went with us and he made himself right at home!! Casey got to see Nate and wanted so badly to bring him to Mimi's with us but we had to tell her another time--I really would bring him but boy this weekend would not have been the best time.

Late Saturday afternoon, we loaded back into the van and headed to Mimi's. It's been a long time since we've made the drive from Greenwood to Babmberg but my oh my nothing has changed. Well that's not true, they have cleared the area where you turn to go to the hospital in Greenwood (and there may have been something on the corner), there was a new gas station and right outside of Greenwood there was a house that caught my eye. They had flowers planted in a toilet sitting beside the road!! Later in Edgefield, there was someone with a bathtub full of flowers in their front yard--wonder if the two are related or watch the same "decorating" shows? Other than that not much had changed. It was a long ride going through all the little towns where the speed limit drops down to 35--but we had fun talking and laughing. We had been going to eat dinner at our favorite BBQ place out side of Aiken but when we got closer, no one was really hungry so we opted to go a more direct route instead. So that left was with fewer options--fried chicken from the gas station--no we had KFC for lunch--how about Hardee's--no thanks. So we went to the House of Pizza in Bamberg. Steve and I love this place, although Saturday night was the first time ever that either of us had eaten there!!! Why do we love it? We love to see what the special is for the day. Never have we see it be pizza!!! It's been sandwiches, it's been flounder, it's been all sorts of things but never pizza. Saturday night was no different. On Saturday, the special was BBQ!!!! Mimi and KP meet us to eat and KP said that I must be hard up for blog material if I wanted to stop and eat here. He was just joking because they do eat there sometimes and we had tried to eat dinner there over the July 4th weekend but it was closed. Drew noted that out of 6 people that ordered no one got pizza!!!! So how was the food? It was okay. After that we went to Mimi's and got unpacked and had cake and ice cream for Drew's birthday and put the kids to bed.
Sunday was a busy day!!! We were at Mimi's for my Great Aunt Mary's 90th birthday. It was a nice day but the stress level was up there. Mine went up when I realized that it wasn't going to be just family or at Aunt Debbie's house. We somehow missed the info that the dress was more business casual. Let's just say that is not what I had packed!!!! Oh well! It was nice to see family that I had not seen in years!! The drive home wasn't to bad and all of the kids did great. We made everyone go to bed when we got home and Steve and I went shortly after them.
This is going to be a fun week. Casey has her doctor apt. for checking her tubes. Yea, that will be fun--not!! Casey can't stand going to the doctor especially when they want to do something to her ears. Then we have our house inspection on Wednesday. Only 17 days till we move!!!!

One more thing about our trip.
I think our kids have lived in the city for to long. We stopped at a gas station on the way to Greenwood--and for those of you who have not been from Greenwood to Charlotte, you are lucky to see a place to stop between Lancaster and Clinton. Anyway, we go in this gas station to get a snack. As I'm standing there in line, I see that they don't take debit or credit cards if the transaction is less than $5. Well I don't have $5 worth of junk food nor do I want to buy that much. So I tell the kids to put it back but then we spot an ATM!!! Yea, now I can buy $2 worth of junk and pay a $2 fee to get cash--but hey it's easier on the teeth!!! Okay back to the story.
As I am getting the money from the ATM, Drew and Shelby are looking into this box. I didn't pay it much attention--just got my money and got back in line. Drew and Shelby walked over and Shelby started talking about that box. She wanted to know what was in it. I said that I didn't know and that she should just go look. She did and came back and said she didn't know what those things were. (I'm sure that the guy behind us was about to die--especially because of Shelby's tone of voice--it was very stuck up in tone). Anyway, I told her I would check on the way out but that I thought it was probably cricket. I guess I've been in the city for a while also because that's something I had not see in a store in a LONG time. So we get our stuff and I walk past the box, which Shelby has informed me smell bad, and take a look. Yep crickets. I told her what they were and she says "Why would anybody want one of those?!" Then I told her they were used for bait when you were fishing and she said she thought they were for sale for pets!! Yep, we need to get these kids in the wide open more often. Well maybe not because on the way to the party yesterday a snake crossed the road in front of us that had to be 6 feet long. See that' s the problem with being out in the open--there's more there than crickets!!!!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am SOOO proud of Shelby! What a sure sign of growing up! Way to go Shelby!!!

Melinda said...

This whole post just cracked me up! Thanks for making my day. :)